- 2/3 pound dried rice stick noodles, preferably medium width
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground chili paste, or to taste
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 3 green onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ small yellow onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ pound raw medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched, shocked in ice water, and drained
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped, roasted unsalted peanuts (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- 4 lemon wedges
- Thai chili dipping sauce
- ? - <
Bring 2 quarts of water to boiling. Cook the noodles for 2 minutes, then rinse extremely well under cold running water. Drain the noodles in a colander and spread them out to dry for at least 20 minutes. The noodles will stick together, but don’t be alarmed.
Meanwhile, heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large nonstick saucepan over moderate heat. Add the garlic, shallots, and chili paste and allow sizzling until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, sugar, fish sauce, and salt and reduce slightly, about 1 minute. Add the 2/3 cup chicken stock and reduce the heat. Stirring frequently simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove 2 tablespoons of the sauce and set aside
Add the noodles to the wok and using chopsticks gently separate the noodles. Turn often and sauté until noodles absorb all the sauce and are cooked until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, green onions, and peanuts and fold into the noodles. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in another nonstick pan over moderate heat. Add the yellow onion and garlic and sauté until soft and aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the prawns, toss in pan until they turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, reserved sauce, and the 1/3 cup chicken stock. Cover and cook until vegetables are thoroughly hot, another 2 minutes.
To serve, portion noodles onto individual dinner plates and top with the prawns and broccoli stir-fry. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and lemon wedges.